Carla's story: I saved my son's life

Date: 30 March 2018

021

"It was 2014; we were at a birthday party in a pizza restaurant and the kids were eating dessert, when I noticed my son Leo was trying to get my attention. He was going red in the face and struggling to breathe. When I asked him if he was choking he nodded and I could see the panic in his eyes.

"I ran around the table and gave him a few really hard back blows. Some sweets came flying out of his mouth but he still couldn’t breathe. The other kids were starting to panic. I quickly lifted Leo off his chair, stood him on the floor and gave him an abdominal thrust, and the remaining sweet came flying out!

"Both Leo and I were really shaken up after the incident. But I was glad I had been able to stay calm in the moment and deliver the first aid skills I’d been taught by St John Cymru." 


Leo said: “It was really scary but my mum was brilliant and I’m so glad she was there.”

As Carla, Leo's mum had been on a St John Cymru first aid course she knew exactly what to do when Leo started choking. Would you know what to do if this was one of your friends or family? 

Let St John Cymru be there for you; learn first aid with us and take away life saving skills and the confidence you need to use them in an emergency. 
 

Get Involved

There are many ways you can get involved with St John Cymru. Find out how!

View